Mayflies at Decatur and trout below Smith dam?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on July 10, 2001 at 00:07:57:

Although I haven't really gone out after the fish like I do in cooler weather, I have gotten out around the local Decatur area a few times from the bank.

Starting some time this weekend and continuing through at least monday (today), the mayflies/willowflies are still hatching. I have counted at least 3 "major" hatches along with several smaller ones on the hwy 31 causeway at Decatur since May 31. Unfortunately, the fish seem to have gotten tired of flies in this area. No topwater action to speak of today, although there were lots of flies to be had!

I did manage to catch a couple of keeper crappie in one of the ditches on the Wheeler refuge along with some small bass and bream, but that was it. If I had a boat I could launch by hand in a few places on the refuge, I am sure I could catch my fill of bream and crappie and maybe shellcrackers... oh well.

I thought about driving down to Smith dam and trying for trout, but I figured I would post here first and see if anyone else has tried down there and had any luck?

Oh well, good fishin' and "stay cool"! (grin)

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]