Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 7-5-2001

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on July 06, 2001 at 04:50:40:

DATE: 7-5-01
LAKE LEVEL: Full + a taste
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 81*F in am - 89*F pm
WATER CLARITY: Great

CRAPPIE: Very little activity day or night.Do not expect for them to do anything until mid September.

BASS: Bass fishing has been great early and late. Mid day, take a nap! Night fishing has started to pick up using top waters and
dark colored worms.Daytime fishing use French Fry worms on most any points. The fish are still reasonably shallow ( 7-10 ft. deep).
Blue sparkle seems to be doing well.

STRIPE: The water temperature has gotten so warm now that the stripe are pulling back into the cooler creeks where they are very
hard to get to.Live bait is still your best bet. I have not tried night fishing for stripe this year but, I have been told by a very reliable
source that they are catching several good fish using live shad under the bridge at night in Cowan Creek. Also, under the big
bridge in Cedar Bluff and Leesburg.

WHITE BASS: I saw my first white bass jump on Friday. They did not stay up long because of the boat traffic however, Tony at the
Hawgs Den tells me that they are working good right off the river channel as you are going up river from the Hawgs Den. In years
gone by, the Chatooga has held millions of them.We generally start seeing them in the jumps from Cornwall Furnace up river.
Trolling for white bass can also be productive using Mrs. Cheryl's 1/16 oz bubble gum jigs about 30 yards behind the boat on a
medium troll. In the jumps I recommend a small Rat'l Trap or Rooster Tail. White seems to work the best.

BREAM: Bream fishing is slow.

CATFISH: Night fishing with jugs or trot lines very productive around the old river channel. Believe it or not they are also hitting
crappie type minnows off peoples docks and being very successful. Some big one's being caught. Time for summer time catfish
fishing!

AS ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM COMPAQ COMPUTERS!!

As always I am glad to help anyone with anything that I can whether you hire our guide service or not. We try to be fare, honest
and helpful to anyone who "looks us up". Never think you are bothering me with your email and questions. I am happy to help if I
can! Have a SAFE & HAPPY SUMMER!! Take Care, Steve http://www.weisslakeguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]