Diseased fish Re: Willow Flies Still Out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 23, 2001 at 22:24:12:

In Reply to: Willow Flies Still Out posted by ked on June 19, 2001 at 10:47:43:

Hey Ked,

I am going to try and find out who to contact about diseased fish like the ones you saw. Cheryl and Steve Pope, of Weiss Lake Guide Service, asked me to make sure and let folks know that they are very interested in getting information from fishermen who spot abnormalities in fish caught in the north alabama area and they hope to get Auburn university involved in working on what seems to be a growing problem in north alabama.

I too have caught fish with various sores and apparent "fungi", parasites or growths on them along with numerous "apparent" eustrongylides infestations. Since most folks (including myself) are not experts on identifying what the causes of these things are, we need to contact those who do know. Also, there may be a bigger problem than the state biologists know about since I am sure they are not able to test every area in alabama during every season. We fishermen need to relate what we find to them in the hope that they will not only take our concerns seriously, but will also act to find out what is causing the problems and affect a cure, if possible.

I'll try to get back to you and everyone else on this as soon as I have more information. Maybe Doug Darr or someone else from the DCNR or other government agency will read this and contact me?

Thanks again,
Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]