Decatur Mayflies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 09, 2001 at 23:40:19:

They are still hatching, but you may have to search for them. Early morning and late evening seem to be the best times to spot them flying, but not always. Look for birds working overhanging trees and bushes and, of course, watch for top water action from the fish. Mid day, you will probably have to get close to shore lines to spot them. Often, birds are the only indication they are around. Even if there is no top water action visible where you find them, the fish will be close by.

I found several hatches today (11am-7:45pm) on the south side of the river around Decatur. Some pretty good hatches were a little hard to spot, though. Managed to catch one smallmouth (less than a pound) and 7 or 8 LMB from 1 to 2 pounds. Out of a great many bream caught I think I would have had about 20 or 30 keepable (but not really impressive) bluegill. The topper for the day was a shellcracker that was between 1.5 and 2 pounds. The shellcracker hit a red popping bug and the rest were caught on a brown popping bug and an artificial willow fly. All on a fly rod, of course. (smile) All fish were released.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]