Re: help on Smith Lake Bass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben There on June 08, 2001 at 17:55:09:

In Reply to: Re: help on Smith Lake Bass posted by Pudman32 on June 08, 2001 at 10:37:09:

I do not fish for crappie much on Smith Lake like I used to on Lay Lake but I have had some success using jigs. What few times that I have fished for crappie, I have found that they hold in deep water very much like the spotted bass. I have never caught a crappie less than 12 to 15 feet deep. I have seen several people fishing next to the bank with minnows like on the Coosa River but using jigs has always been my main lures. I suggest using a 1/16 feather jig, white tail, white head and RED eye. This has been the best combination personnally for me. It would be a good starting point anyway. Look for trees down along the bank or deep brush tops at least 12 feet deep or deeper. I would not use line any heavier than 8 pound, 6 would probably be better.
Cast a jig close to where the tree trunk enters the water and let the jig slowely fall down the face of the tree. Turn the handle of your reel just enough to TRY to keep the jig out of the limbs. A strike on the jig will be extremely light, usually nothing more than a tap. Set the hook at what is the lightest tap you may feel.
Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]