Wheeler Tailrace Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lance on June 02, 2001 at 22:26:12:

Went today for a little bit of everything...smallmouth, catfish, and stripe. Tried crickets, night crawlers, and tuffies. No smallmouth...several nice eating size catfish, and no stripe but saw several being caught...mostly by fellows trolling. The cats are really on though. Two guys in a boat using a heavy bell weight w/ a treble hook rigged w/ a three-way swivel seemed to be working best. They were using liver and shad guts it looked like and they were catching one right after another when noone else was. We ended the day with 15 nice ones and let several get off after 4 hours of fishing...mostly on the night crawlers. The wind was terrible. It was the roughest I've seen in a while. HUGE WAVES! Still wondering where the smallies are...a few reports saying they are slaying the small ones, but we have yet to catch a single smallie at the tailrace in several tries this year. We catch everything but the smallies. I guess if we were going for stripe or catfish we would catch all smallies. Oh well,maybe one day we'll get lucky...it was a fun day fishing anyway. Just nice to finally get out for a while. Good luck! If anyone has any good advice for the smallmouth, I would really appreciate it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]