Spring Creek Stripe and Wheeler Dam Catfish

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on May 29, 2001 at 12:44:56:

Memorial Day weekend provided some excellent fishing this year! We fished Spring Creek bridge saturday nite, from 7pm to 2AM and caught tons of fish. My cousin, myself, and a young boy camping there caught over 100 stripe (took Mike about 3 hours to clean the 82 we kept). They were running in there thick all night long and hitting most anything--small rattletraps, curly-tail jigs, sassy shad, and spoons.

Went out yesterday in the rain and managed a good afternoon of fishing below the dam. We drifted crickets and nitecrawlers below the island and caught several catfish, bluegill, and smallmouth. All of the cat's run around 1-2 lbs, but I did catch one bigger cat around 5lbs. All of the smallmouth were undersize, but still fun to catch!. Did spend the last hour drifting minnows in the current (what little they had on). Had one good fish shake the hook close enough for me too see--I hate losing mounting-size smallies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe there are still some good smallies in the tailrace after all!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]