Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 5-22-2001

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Fishing Report on May 23, 2001 at 16:43:57:

DATE: 5-22-01
LAKE LEVEL: 564+
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 77.5 am - 85.0 pm
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: A few crappie are still being taken at night under bridges with lanterns 6 - 10 feet deep using minnows.There will not be a
lot of crappie taken again until the middle of September.

BASS: The bass fishing is getting stronger and stronger.A lot of the bigger fish are now coming off the beds.Buzz baits and shallow
top water baits around the grass in the morning.Later large numbers of bass being located on long points using Carolina rig.French
Fry worms.Blue smoke color seems to be the best. With the cold front that is moving through today and tomorrow, the affect that this
will have on the bass fishing I haven't a clue but my guess is it will slow them way down for a day or two.

STRIPE: The stripe fishing is strong.Large numbers of stripe being caught just about anywhere you want to go.Yellow Creek trolling
a crank bait that will reach a depth of Approximately 10 feet works well.Crazy Woman using the same technique will work also the
flats out in front of sailboat and the old river channel edges up at Riverside.Live bait works well. Shad is the bait of preference but if
you cannot throw a shad net nor do you have a shad tank, live bream works well. A bream about 3-4 inches is ideal and they live
well in your live well. Bream are being taken around the grass beds on crickets and worms. Some stripe being taken in the 20 -25 lb.
category. Had a gentleman and his son out of Montgomery, Brother Decker and his son Ron, we kept 17 fish, which is a little more
than I prefer to, but I lost my dip net on the way out to fish and I had to land all fish by hand. This got to be a joke as to whether it
was a one glove fish or a two glove fish! If you try to land big stripe without a net and a glove on you are in deep trouble!! Their first
stripe trip and I believe that I have them hooked! If you wish you to ask Brother Decker personally about his trip you can contact him
at deckert@mindspring.com .Brother Decker, I am not going to answer my phone when you start calling! :-)

WHITE BASS: No clue. Too early in the season.

BREAM: A lot of bream being taken around grass beds on crickets and worms. This is the first year that I have caught bream big
enough to eat. For some reason the bream seem to be reaching a larger size this year.

CATFISH: The catfish are spawning in the rip rap. They will hit crickets, worms, small bream, and just about anything stinky you want
to throw to them using a float about 3 feet deep. Some of them are pretty good size fish.

****AS ALWAYS THESES DAYS DO NOT PEE IN THE WIND, PLANT YOUR CORN EARLY AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
SHOULD YOU PURCHASE A COMPAQ COMPUTER. MINE IS STILL BEING USED AS A LARGE PAPER WEIGHT!!!*****

If you need any help what-so-ever with lodging or if you get up here and have an illness or boat trouble, do not hesitate to contact
us as we are always willing to help a friend in need.If you need some help locating fish we will do the best we can to help whether
you hire a guide or not. I am generally around Bay Springs Restaurant for breakfast however they are now closed on Mondays &
Tuesdays. As always Good Fishing to everyone!! Have a GREAT SUMMER! Sincerely, Steve http://www.weisslakeguideservice.com
256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]