Re: How do I fish for Sauger?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on May 22, 2001 at 11:54:36:

In Reply to: How do I fish for Sauger? posted by Jeff on May 21, 2001 at 21:32:27:

Sauger are excellent eating, and relatively easy to catch when you find them.

I use a tightline method, just put 2-4 #4 splitshot (depending on current) about a foot above a #2 wire hook, usually on 4 or 6lb line. The biggest live tuffies you can get are the best bait, but I have also caught them on big live shiners.

An alternative method is to use 1/2 oz or bigger jigs tipped with minnows and "bounce" them off the bottom--when you feel slight pressure pop them hard.

Browns Ferry and the railroad bridge at Decatur are excellent places--you just need water 20-30' deep. I have heard that they catch a lot of them up toward painted bluff (on the deep bluffs up there)--read some posts by Alex and a few others--they go up there. Also the lock walls on wilson lake are good early in the mornings in November--but they spook easy there 'cause its only 12' deep.

This past year was unusual up around Decatur--by far the best fishing was early--late october/early november. We had some 40 fish days early. We caught fish all winter but that water temp fell to 36-37 and that really slowed them down late. Best days in december/january were around 10 fish. The real deep water upriver may be a better location when it gets real cold.

Hope this helps

Shane

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]