The pumps at Decatur (Day park)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 17, 2001 at 22:27:57:

The stripe hit has all but quit. Still picking up some late in the evening just before dark on white jigs allowed to drift in the current after casting upstream near the culverts as you first enter the park. Bream are nearly non-existent and only a few small bass. A crappie here and there can be caught behind the pumps, but mostly not worth the effort. Things can change quickly around the pumps with rain, so don't rule it out.

As I have often said, most of the snakes seen in this area are harmless water snakes, but behind the pumps and across the highway at the ditch which leads to White's spring there have been a couple of sightings of poisonous snakes. I personally spotted a copperhead (about 12 inches long) on the road behind the pumps that leads to the train tracks and culvert which goes under the tracks. Alex reported that he observed a fairly large cottonmouth around the ditch across the highway from the pumps. I questioned him on this sighting and feel fairly confident that he was correct. This is the first year that I have spotted more than one poisonous snake in these areas, so be careful! If you are not good at snake identification (and even if you are), please, PLEASE, keep your eyes open and be aware! Also, if you spot a snake, simply leave it alone and get away from it. It is still mating season for many snakes and some may be more agressive when on a nest. Also, remember that this is mostly WNWR land and if you kill a snake, any kind of snake, you may be violating federal law. Just leave them alone!

Thanks,

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]