Re: Shoal Creek Bluegill

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 14, 2001 at 00:01:01:

In Reply to: Shoal Creek Bluegill posted by LJ on May 13, 2001 at 21:31:27:

Was your nephew getting hits and just not connecting? Were you using crickets or worms? If he was simply missing hits, then the hook size is likely to blame.

In any case, yes, the hook, weight, and line size do make a difference. Also, if using crickets, how you hook the cricket can make a world of difference. In a recent message I posted about fishing with Alex in the Goose Pond area, Alex out-fished me by a wide margin. I was using the same hook, he had 4#test and I had 6#test and similar weight and different corks. But, I think the major difference was how I was hooking the crickets. I was threading them (killing them in the process) and Alex was hooking them such that they stayed alive and kicking, at least for a little while after they were under water.

Sometimes it is really hard to figure out what the exact difference is that make one rig catch and another, similar rig not catch. I have fished EXACT carbon copies of rigs. NOTHING different on either one and still, one rig would outcatch the other by at least %50 or more... go figure...

Good luck and thanks for the report from Shoal Creek!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]