Re: TVA’s 2001 Fish Survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 13, 2001 at 23:40:34:

In Reply to: Re: TVA’s 2001 Fish Survey posted by Gary Layne on May 13, 2001 at 18:14:00:

I don't have the operating guide for Nickajack, but my guess would be mosquito control along with power generation and flood control measures. Although I don't agree with the mosquito control measure they use here on Wheeler (raising and dropping the lake by approximately 1 foot periodically) as it seems to increase the population instead of decreasing it, there are usually power generation or flood control reasons for the fluctuations. Could they do it better? YES!! But, I will qualify that statement with this one... Since the advent of the nuclear power plants within the TVA, the generation at the dams has diminished considerably! When I was young, the Tennesse river had a relatively constant flow. Today, it is extremely inconsistent in terms of flow and that has had a major detrimental influence on the quality of fishing. Of course, this is just my opinion and I will add that TVA does a pretty fair job... most of the time... but I am not as confident in their record keeping as I once was...

More on that later. (sigh)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]