Re: Wheeler Tailrace Smallies!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on May 13, 2001 at 23:09:03:

In Reply to: Wheeler Tailrace Smallies! posted by Lance on May 13, 2001 at 15:45:09:

Lance--the smallmouth are DEFINITELY biting below the dam, but we didnt manage a keeper all day thursday. We caught close to 25 in all, drifting minnows and crickets (of all things!), but I only had one fish on that would have been 15". No particular pattern--we caught fish from above the towers to even with bluewater creek--smallies were scattered everywhere. I still think there are big fish up in the tailrace, but the babies get the bait first most of the time!

We caught 0 stripe, but I did talk to some folks that had been there at daybreak and caught a limit on artificials (including spooks-which I plan to try tomorrow at daylight). I cant figure the stripe out, except that i guess they are feeding early and TVA isnt generating till around 12 most days. Still not finding many threadfin (yellowtails) either. I would love to catch a 20lb on topwater though--that would be awesome.

As for artificials--i havent done much so I dont have a great feel for it, but im sure you can catch smallies on points and bluffs downriver when they are generating. Centipedes, 4" worms, grubs and bear-hairs would be my baits of choice.

Oh-one extra point--i bet we caught 40 catfish (minimum) thursday--the small channels (1-3lbs) are everywhere below the dam. Now if i can only find some big blues to mix in with them!!

I'll be there tomorrow too and if i find any good smallies i'll post back.

Good fishin everyone!

Shane

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]