Weiss Lake fishing report for 5-13-2001

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on May 13, 2001 at 21:27:50:

DATE: 5-13-01
LAKE LEVEL: 564 +
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 73 am - 81 pm
WATER CLARITY: Great

CRAPPIE: The crappie fishing is done for the spring except for fishing under the lights around the bridges and old river
channel.Around Hog Island seems to be doing fairly well also.Use minnows.Watch your depth finder to be sure to fish a little bit
above the fish. I had 27 on Thursday and burnt up 27 gallons of gas to get them and the were all about 10" and all males.I am not
sure that we even had a spawn this year, if we did I believe it was a small one.Will know in 3 years. We probably had the best
crappie season in a while from mid February until the 16th of March. One big rain,flood,high water,low water,cold front,muddy water
and you name it and we had it this spring. Crappie season for the fall should start up mid September (depending on the weather)
and go through to about the first week of November. Generally we do not have all the fronts and heavy rains and unstable conditions
like we can have in the spring. I talked to a lot of people this Spring.I hope I was some help.I like to see everyone catch fish.But, for
a while there I was "flapping" just like everyone else.

BASS: Bass fishing is getting better and better everyday.Carolina rigs using the small french fry type worms seems to work well all
day. Fishing points, humps, and there are some schooling fish on sand bars. We had the best spawn on bass in 1999 that this lake
has ever seen. The spring of 2002 should be hotter than a three dollar pistol. I quit "trash fishing" several years ago but both my
partners still like that "trash fishing" pretty well. They are both doing well. 18-30 a day. Some in the 5 lb. category, most of them
spots. Worms do seem to be working best for now but it will not be long until buzz baits will do well early.As the larger fish come off
the beds they will stack up on the points and will be fairly easy to catch and in large numbers.Last week of May and first week of
June should be the hottest.

STRIPE: We have the best stripe population in this lake of any lake in our chain of lakes.However, I am out there "flapping". I fished
Friday about 14 1/2 hours for 1 stripe and 1 run. Shad at this time are all but impossible to find.For some unknown reason, Alabama
Power is not moving much water through the lake.We are in a drought situation and I am pretty sure the oxygen levels are a little
low.A little bit of rain and water flow and they should appear at their old haunts.The shad I am marking on my depth finder are
about 6 feet deep.Impossible to through a net over. Shad are the main diet for Stripe in this lake. I have received a few emails from
some nice folks around the lake and to the man they say they are doing fair to good at night using small live bream.Little River area
seems to be the hottest,the big bridge in Cedar Bluff, and the big bridge in Leesburg.I will find the "cotton pickers" one way or the
other. As soon as I do I will tell you where and how.

WHITE BASS: Still have not seen the first one. Their normal haunt at this time of year would be up the Chatooga in the flats above
Cornwall Furnace. I am going to make a trip up there sometime this week and take a peek.

BREAM: This is the first year I have caught what I call decent bream in this lake.The are trying to bed up just about everywhere
around the lake in shallow water. The water is clear enough that you can see some beds on a sunny day.I caught 26 nice bream
fishing around Bay Springs fish cleaning station trying to get little bream to fish with for stripe.This shocked me out of my tennis
shoes. My partner Butch and I made a trip to Guntersville Friday and located many bream beds. We kept 26 great bream. My partner
Harry and I went back on Saturday with guide parties and had about 70 + a piece. All of them great, fillet size, along with several
great shell crackers. We were using a special bream glitter jig that Ms. Cheryl made special for us.

CATFISH: The catfish are full of eggs and trying to spawn in the rip rap. Crickets work pretty good and so do night crawlers.

CARP: All you bow fishermen, bring you bow's on.The carp are about 8" under the surface under the docks.On a sunny day you can
kill them. Bring your polarized sunglasses. I wish I had the money to put a bounty on them. We are also seeing huge catfish working
in the bream beds. We saw one Friday that Butch tried to convince me that it was a shark! I am old and slow but I don't think so.

I am on the water still about everyday. I am a glutton for punishment. Most of you think that you impose on me because you ask me
questions. This could not be more wrong. I am glad to help anyone anyway that I can. I try to make our fishing report as accurate as
humanly possible. Unlike most Marina's and Motel's I will tell it like it is. Some of them do also, BUT they are in the minority. Any
feedback that you can give me about your experiences is greatly appreciated! Take your kids fishing and you will know where they
are and you will never regret the time spent with them.
PLANT YOUR CORN EARLY, DO NOT PEE IN THE WIND, AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU BUY A COMPAQ
COMPUTER.
HOWEVER, THEY MIGHT MAKE A PRETTY GOOD ANCHOR!

I am guided one or two days a week now so if you need me just email me or give me a call. Sincerely, Steve
www.weisslakeguideservice.com or clp-pope@tds.net .

ALSO: Check out the April issue of Alabama Whitetail and Bass. There is a nice article on me in this issue. GOOD FISHING TO ALL
& HAVE A SAFE SUMMER!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]