Goose Pond area shellies and 'gills

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 10, 2001 at 22:41:41:

I had the opportunity to fish Goose Pond again with Alex and try for those bedding shellcrackers and bluegills. We managed 72 (45 shellies approx.), mostly caught by Alex (he put me to shame today), using crickets. I did manage one on a fly rod with a popping bug and some on crickets, but mostly, I had trouble finding them with crickets... even though Alex kept putting them in the boat using crickets! (sigh) The Keystone minnow didn't do much today. Once again, I wonder how red worms would have done if we had had any.

We fished several areas in and around the Goose Pond area and worked some beds we hadn't tried during the last trip and re-visited several beds found during the last trip. The millfoil is getting on up there and it is harder to spot the beds now. Quality of fish was also down. No 1 pounders or better. My guess is the biggest shellies were about .75 pounds or less. Most of the fish were found on the beds we had worked on our last trip, so we didn't find any new active beds. This is not to say that there aren't still good sized bedding shellies and 'gills to be caught, but the beds are getting harder and harder to find with the rapidly growing millfoil.

We did stop at the shop at Goose Pond for a burger before leaving. Good burgers!

Started the day approx. 6am and ended about 4 or 4:30pm. This was probably my last trip over there for bream this year. I will get out and work the smaller bream when the willow flies start to hatch in a few weeks here on Wheeler though. Lots of fun on a fly rod or light tackle! Last year, I first noticed the willow flies hatching the first day of June.

On the way back home I stopped at the pumps (Day Park) at the North end of the Hwy 31 causeway at Decatur and caught around 30 stripe and 4 or 5 LMBass. Stripe averaged about .75 to 1 pound and the bass were generally small with the biggest at approx. 2-2.5 pounds. Plenty of skip-jack, if you are just bored or want them for cut bait.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]