Re: Piers at TVA Ramps

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 09, 2001 at 21:20:49:

In Reply to: Re: Piers at TVA Ramps posted by Barry on May 09, 2001 at 15:38:50:

Just thought I'd add my thoughts on this subject...

Now, don't get me wrong, but I understand why folks without boats like to fish from the piers/docks at public boat ramps. I am not saying that they should or should not be there and they should definitely NOT obstruct access to and from the ramp for boaters.

But, let's keep in mind that there are fewer and fewer good places to fish from the bank for the average fisherman and although we boaters have had some new boat ramps built and older ramps revamped, how often do you hear about anything being done to provide access to GOOD fishing for landlocked fishermen? For many various reasons, access to much of the bank fishing has been cut off and the average bank fisherman is having a harder and harder time finding good fishing waters that are easily accessed. I have a friend who is handicapped (lost right arm and leg) and can't get to most areas to fish from the bank. Although he has a boat, there are scant few places that he can fish from the bank. By the way, he a great fisherman. You should see him operate! Only needs help when he hooks a fish that he can't reel in with his one hand.

Anyway, my point is, keep in mind that many bank fishermen are VERY limited to the few areas that are easily accessible for good fishing, and there are fewer and fewer of those areas every year. Although some of them do cause problems by obstructing ramps, etc., the vast majority of them don't, so keep that in mind when you are running along in your boat and come across bank fishermen. Give them the same courtesy you would expect (and hope to get) from your fellow boaters. Remember that we boaters have the WHOLE river to fish and can change locations easily, while bank fishermen often have to make a day of it in only a few places. It wasn't that long ago that I did not have a boat, so I know all to well how hard it can be to find good fishing from the bank and how annoying it is when an inconciderate boater washes you out or throws their casting net on top of my corks. Yes, that actually happened.

I could go on, but I think I made the point I was getting at. Am I long winded? (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]