Re: Fishing spot at Wilson Dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 09, 2001 at 04:16:44:

In Reply to: Fishing spot at Wilson Dam posted by Jeff on May 07, 2001 at 12:54:59:

There are good places to fish from the bank on the south side of the river, both above and below Wilson dam. Below the dam is what is called the "Rock Pile". You can walk down the trail near the ramp and fish for catfish, stripe, sauger, bream, etc. there. The first place is within view of the ramp. If you continue along the trail and over the hill, there is a pumping station that has produced fish for me over the years. Even further along that same trail is a creek that feeds into the river just below where they are working on the Patton Island bridge project. This has been good for stripe as long as I can remember and we used to catch BIG gar on nylon rope lures (no hooks) a long time ago, but I don't know if the big ones still come in there now. The walk to the stream is a pretty fair one and not flat, but it is a nice nature trail, if you like hiking.

Also, you might try walking up to the dam itself. Actually, anywhere along the bank from the ramp to the dam can be good, but I usually like to try along the wall as far as you can go, next to the dam. The depth varies from about 4-5 to 8-9 feet this time of year unless you have a boat and can get right up to the turbines where it is from 30 to 40 feet deep. I usually use jigs to try for many different types of fish, including stripe, bass (LM and smallies), sauger, etc., but you can try drifting minnows or shad minnows if you can get them, for bigger fish. Check the link on the NAFF home page for dam release schedules before you go. I find that fishing below the dam is usually better when there is discharge going on.

There is a boat ramp and overlook above the dam that can easily be fished from the bank. Don't fish from the ramp or its pier though, as this ramp gets a lot of boat traffic. Behind the parking area for the boat ramp above the dam is some shallower water that can sometimes produce good bream and bass and sometimes crappie. At the overlook, you have shelved bluffs which drop into very deep water from the dam until about the point where the big white sign is. At this point it shallows up. Bass and stripe sometimes hold along this area and you will probably see at least one boat working it for bass. I have caught everything from bream to catfish in that deeper water and caught some fish that never even knew I had hooked them (monster cats???)

I hope this helps and gives you some idea of what you *might* find fishing from the bank at Wilson dam.

Good luck!

P.S.
The picture (http://www2.una.edu/geography/tn_web/Dams/wils_dam.jpg) is of Wilson dam taken from the Rock Pile, near the ramp. It was linked to from the site below:

Virtual Tour Of The Tennessee River
http://www2.una.edu/geography/tn_web/

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]