Spring Creek - Wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 03, 2001 at 21:50:06:

Tried for bluegill's and shellcracker today. Mainly I was after those big shellies. I first put in at the ramp next to the sewage plant in Decatur and crossed over to the flats west of the train tracks. Worked the bank all the way to Beulah Bay with little success. Only a few dinks.

Trailered and headed for Spring creek about 9am. The wind was from the SE, so I worked the east bank (south of the bridge) all the way from the very back (opening to Swopes (swoops?)) pond. Found a lot of beds, but most were "now" only inhabited by small 'gills. It was harder spotting these beds than in Guntersville. I expect it is because of the lack of vegetation comparitively. The beds I was able to see were in 1-3 feet of water. I guess these beds were HOT before TVA did their 1 foot drop for mosquito control. (ARG!) I did manage to find 4 pretty nice shellies from 3/4 to 1 pound. I caught a LOT of bluegill and even kept some, but only the bigger ones. I threw back a lot of 'gills that I might have kept on other days, but I was really looking for the big ones. (smile)

I had crickets and tried them several times, but the best hit came from a Keystone minnow rigged up like a beetle-spin. ALSO, caught one pretty smallie on the same at about 1.5 pounds, though it had a chaser that may have gone as much as 4 pounds. And, I caught an approx. 8 pounds large mouth while bringing in a dink bluegill. Biggest LM I have ever landed. (smile) Released all bass and kept only the best bream which I gave to a friend... who gave to another friend. (grin)

Water clarity is good at Spring Creek, especially compared with most of Wheeler, but I didn't measure the temp. I caught fish mostly on the bait mentioned above, but I also used/caught fish on artificial crawdad, flyrod/popping bug and a few 'gills on crickets. Maybe I should have dug up some red worms?

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]