Re: Cleaning/Cooking Bream, HOW????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on April 30, 2001 at 19:03:53:

In Reply to: Cleaning/Cooking Bream, HOW???? posted by B. WESTCOTT on April 30, 2001 at 11:17:21:

B Westcott there are several different ways to cook and clean bream and shellcracker. The most common way is to filet the fish as Brad mentioned.If you do not know how to filet, let me know and I will e-mail you a step-by-step on how to do this. As far as cooking them, it all depends on your taste buds! If you like to sit down to just eat fish you might want to try this. Go down to Krogers or your local grocery store and look in their seafood department. There, you will find a product called Louisianna Catfish batter. This is not a spicy mix but has all the right ingredients. Get you a 1 gallon Ziplock freezer bag and pour all of the batter into the freezer bag. Soak your filets in cold ice water 10 minutes before frying. Take the fillets out of the water and drop into freezer bag. Put only 6 to eight at a time. Close the bag and turn several times to coat the fish. Open the bag and take the fish out and drop into deep fryer. Cook only 2 to 2.5 minutes. Take fish out of oil and place on a plate with paper towles. Eat as soon as possible. After your are done with the batter, simple roll up the bag and close the ziplock and place into freezer. Next time you are ready to cook fish just take bag out and use again. Another way that my wife loves to eat bream and shellcracker is like boiled shrimp! To do this lay your filets out flat on a cutting board. Cut the filets up into long strips (about the size of your little finger). Place 2 quarts of water into a boiling pan, bring the water up to a fast boil. Put one bag of Old bay crab boil into the boiling water. Put the strips of bream in the boiling water and cook for 1.5 minutes. Dont worry if some of the strips come apart. Take filets out of the crab boil and rinse under cold water. Place the fish on a plate that is covered with a paper towl. Place another paper towl on top and put into frig until completely cold. Take out and stick tooth picks into fish and dip into cocktail sauce and enjoy! Taste just like fresh gulf boiled shrimp. I also have a recipe for crappie, shellcracker and bluegill chowder. If you like Boston clam chowder, then you will love this. If you are interested let me know and I will give you the recipe. For grilled bream or shell cracker, try this. Take your filets and place them in a gallon freezer bag and pour 1 cup of italian salad deressing into bag with the fish. Let stad for 1 hour in the frig. Place a piece of aluminum foil onto the surface of your grill and place the filets on the foil. Cook for 2 minutes turning only once. Serve with rice and corn on the cob. Hope this helps! Enjoy and good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]