Wheeler - crappie over?... 'gills and crackers...???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 26, 2001 at 22:41:19:

Although I still hear about "great" catches of crappie in various areas on Wheeler, my best info is that the major hit is over, along with my own experience. Unless you are someone who REALLY knows how to catch post-spawn crappie, then it is time to concentrate on the bluegill and shellcrackers or post spawn bass. Of course, anyone who wants to put me on quality crappie can contact me ANYTIME via email! (grin)

OK, so much for that suggestion... (smile) In all my years of crappie fishing, NOBODY has ever come forward to show me how to catch post spawn or summer-time crappie. One can only hope...

That's enough for the "local hearsay". I was given 3 decent crappie today that happened to be dead so, since it was early in the day, I gave them to another fellow who was ready to leave. Didn't want them to spoil in my live well since I knew I would be out all day.

I put in a Hickory Hills's ramp and tried several areas near Point Mallard. Not much luck. Long story short, I ended the day with about 20 average bluegills. I did actually "smell" the shellcrackers in one spot, but I could not find them.

Baits used were a red/chartreuse bass assassin/spinner like a beetle spin and a Keystone minnow. Yep, I am still a die-hard artificial bait man. (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]