Weiss Lake Fishing Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 26, 2001 at 22:26:44:

Well, this one is a little late as I don't think I received the usual email from Cheryl Pope. Oh, well...

Please address comments and questions to Weiss Lake Guide Service, Steve and Cheryl, not ME! I have never fished Weiss and depend on Steve and Cheryl for ANY updates.

DATE: 4-25-01
LAKE LEVEL: Full
NORMAL LEVEL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 66.7 am - 71 pm
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: (UPDATE) If you are coming to Weiss Lake to catch crappie at this time my suggestion to you would be to fish
the drop offs and humps which are almost impossible to find if you have not been here before. Or you can fish the boat
docks that the other 10,999 people are fishing. Or you can bring a good book and a deck of cards. The crappie fishing is
slow, slow, slow. Best I can tell they are trying to spawn but with the cold nights last night and tonight I have no idea
what they are going to do. I fished 2 gentlemen out of Atlanta yesterday and we had 28 crappie that we kept. The majority
of them were females with eggs. We had 28 keepers and I run out 31 gallons of gas to get them. You probably will not like
the report but it is what it is. I am going to hire me a food taster because after this report I have no doubt that someone
from the local motels or restaurants is going to poison me. Anybody want the job?

BASS: With the warmer surface temps in the afternoon,Carolina rig, purple or pumpkinseed worms. Early in the morning,
Buzz Baits & Spinner Baits. Later in the day, Carolina Rig.Some fishermen bringing in double limits. Look for bass
fishing to get better and better and peak out the first or second of June. The real "Hogs" are on the beds right now.

WHITE BASS: Mixed in with the crappie. I have not seen any surfacing, but they will.

STRIPE: A lot of stripe being taken in the cut to Powerhouse using live shad 6-10 ft. deep. Also good stringers coming
out of the mouth of Yellow Creek. Also good stringers coming from around the second channel marker just out from The
Hawg's Den. Cave Hole producing some fish. North Spring Creek producing some on Rat'l Traps.

BREAM: Any where you want to fish. Small, but a lot of them. Wax Worms are the best bait.

CATFISH: Catfish are trying to spawn. Fish the rip rap with night crawlers. Some coming in the 20lb. range. Also can
catch them at night under the light and around fish cleaning stations.

As always, we are glad to help anyone that we can. We are always at Bay Springs Restaurant for breakfast. Come on over
and have breakfast with us. We are there at 7am every morning. We will be glad to try to point you in the right direction.
This report is based on what the average fisherman is doing right now. Most guides are doing a little better than this.
Look for you at Bay Springs!!! Sincerely, Steve Weiss Lake Guide Service
You can reach me at 256-927-6617 or www.weisslakeguideservice.com

http://www.lakeweissguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: