New links added to the NAFF home page and a question about historical data...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 24, 2001 at 00:58:46:

As always, I am looking for more quality informational links to add to the NAFF home page. Tonight, I added 2 links. One is for folks looking for newspapers and other media in Alabama and the other one is the USGS Water Page. The last one is worth looking at if you are interest in attempting to gather data about water levels, quality, etc, for rivers and streams in Alabama or almost anywhere in the US for that matter. I haven't fully explored this site myself, as I only found these pages tonight.

A little "historical" background... I came across the USGS Water Page while investigating the water levels at Decatur during the rain event and flood which started on the night of December 20, 1990. I personally measured 14 inches of rain in less than 40 hours while living in Flint City which is between Hartselle and Decatur. The .xls files that TVA has been so kind to send me didn't seem to show this event on record as I remember it. Day Park, just north of Decatur on Hwy 31 was flooded and I was flooded in Flint. The data in the .xls files (levels at Wheeler dam) during this event and after don't indicate the levels I saw on the Tennessee river at Decatur from 12/20/90 until approximately 3/31/91. I wrote TVA about this, and they pointed me to the USGS, since they actually do keep records AT Decatur, not just Wheeler dam.

Long story short... I am not drawing any conclusions, yet, but something just doesn't look right to me. Does anyone else reading this remember what the Tennessee river was like from Decatur to Wheeler dam during this major flood? If so, please contact me.

Thanks,
Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]