Decatur fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 23, 2001 at 00:05:22:

Put in at the sewage plant on Hwy20 about 11am and tried for bream in several areas including the railroad causeway, the Y and several cuts on the south side of the river. Never really got into the bream (shellies and gills), but did find one spot with lots of "spots". Average size was from 1-2 pounds with one that may have been about 2.5 or better. My partner and I caught about 20-25 all together and apparently we did pretty good. When I left, there was a local tournament weighing in and I found that we would have probably won the tourney and the big fish if we had been in it. (grin)

All in all a poor day since we were after bream, but the spots did help to make up for it. My partner was using crickets and I was (as always) using jigs of various styles, tightline and under a cork. Only caught 3 gills that were big enough to think about keeping. Released all fish. I did have several hits on my small cork, so I tried a popping bug with a fly rod. Nothing! Went back to the jig under a cork and got cork hits right away. Need to put a hook on that cork! (smile)

Surface temps in the main channel were about 64-66 degrees and up to nearly 70 in the shallower cuts we fished. My partner had to leave at 5pm and I stayed until nearly dark.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]