Re: Here is the scoop from the Alabama Marine Police

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Body on April 19, 2001 at 21:37:06:

In Reply to: Here is the scoop from the Alabama Marine Police posted by lanman55 on April 19, 2001 at 09:58:48:

This is a cut and paste from the Alabama Marine Police website.


Who must be certified? All persons 12 years of age and older who operates a motorized vessel on Alabama waters. Certification must be obtained before April 28, 1999.

Proof of Age: All minors must furnish a certified copy of their birth certificate, their original social security card, and a certified statement from the superintendent of the school which the person attends containing name, date of birth and address.

Cost of Certification: A one time fee of $5.00 (five dollars) cash will be charged as an application fee if you have a current Alabama driverís license. If you are a non-resident or non-licensed driver, the cost is $20.00 (twenty dollars) for the application fee.

How to Obtain Boat Operators Certification:

1. Applicant must go to Department of Public Safety Driverís License Examining Office in county of residence.

2. Make application and pay appropriate fee.

3. Answer medical questions.

4. Successfully complete written/oral exam, or show proof of exemption.

5. Take proper form to Probate or License Commissioners office to have the ďVĒ endorsement placed on driverís license at the time of renewal.

Exemptions From Examination Requirements:

1. Holder of a valid United States Coast Guard Motorboat Operatorís License.

2. Person submitting a valid certificate of successful completion of:
A) United States Power Squadron Boating Course

B) United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Course

C) Any state of Alabama Marine Police Division approved boating course:
a) Alabama Boating Basics course.
b) state approved Boat-Ed on-line boating course(

D) Any boat operator who was born prior to April 28, 1954.

NOTE: Boating course certificates or motor boat operatorís license must be presented to the license examiner at the time of making application.

NOTE: The operator certification must be in possession at time of operation.

Click here for information on personal watercraft.

Additional information can be obtained by e-mailing Bob Huffaker or contacting the Alabama Marine Police Division, Operator Certification Section, 64 North Union Street, Montgomery, AL 36130 (334) 242-3673. Course information can be obtained by calling 1-800-272-7930.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]