New links added to NAFF Home Page - Internet Security

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 15, 2001 at 00:23:54:

I am always on the look for good info and programs that might benefit me and the users of the NAFF, I hope you will all understand my posting of this "off-topic" message on the NAFF as it is not directly concerned with Alabama fishing. But, everyone who connects with this website and message forum has to do so via the internet, and therefore, I thought it was appropriate for me to not only have links to such info on the NAFF home page, but also announce it here.

If you have ever been concerned with your privacy on the internet or even if you have not, the links provided on the NAFF home page under the Internet Security section are worth looking into. There is a lot of info on Steve Gibson's (Gibson Research) site and the ZoneAlarm firewall is currently the best free (and maybe commercial?) firewall available that I can find. Also, if you use Netzip, Netscape Smartdownload, etc... Steve's website will open your eyes on security issues with those programs (Spyware and alleged Spyware) and the companies behind them.

ZoneAlarm is a free personal firewall that has already been more than worth the download time for me. You will probably also be surprised at the attempts from outside sources to access your computer without your permission! Not only that, but ZoneAlarm will notify you of programs on your own computer that may be attempting to access the internet without your knowledge or consent, so called "Phone Home" programs, etc.

Is there a way to be 100% sure that your system and personal info are secure? I don't know, but this is a good place to start!

I know this reads like an info-mmercial, but I am only trying to pass on information that I have found valuable to me and I think will be helpful to many of you.

Once again, sorry for the off-topic post, but I think it was worth the effort for the information it provides.

Gibson Research
http://grc.com/default.htm

Zonelabs - ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
http://www.zonelabs.com/

Thanks,
Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments: