Re: Fried modem, whole, not fileted...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 09, 2001 at 00:29:51:

In Reply to: Re: Fried modem, whole, not fileted... posted by InDixie on April 06, 2001 at 07:45:18:

I used to run a BBS (1992-1997) and was a "field tester" for USR. I only wish I had the money I spent on the 3 Courier modems I purchased and upgraded over that time. Without going into all the details, I could purchase a TOP of the line computer now and have about $1000 or more left over.

I guess I can't really complain too much though, the fried modem gave me almost 9 years of service and is the first one I have ever had that got fried even though the BBS was online 24/7 for 5+ years! Unfortunately (or maybe not) the Courier spare I had can no longer be upgraded to 56k, even though it is exactly the same as the one that got fried. USR has decided, for some reason, to quit upgrading these modems. Makes me wonder if the lousy performance I was getting from the fried modem was because the "upgrade" shouldn't have ever been done on the modem in the first place. I get almost as good throughput on this one (33.6 capable) as I did with the 56k upgraded one.

Go figure... and don't make the mistake of trying to stay on the "bleeding edge" of technology. You don't have enough blood. (grin)

Sorry, this is way off topic for the NAFF. I promise to get back into fishing mode. (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]