Smith Lake,Upper Ryan Creek

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SteveB on April 01, 2001 at 11:15:31:

Weather finally broke here late Saturday afternoon after two and a half days of cold drizzle I took the canoe and dog out for a couple of hours on Ryan Creek upstream of the Trimble Bridge. Had put in with the intention of scouting for some crappie that had maybe moved up or at least find a few bream for supper. No sign of crappie or bream throwing small jigs on light spinning tackle. About 30 minutes before sunset I was working a patch of runoff debris that had accmulated at the inside of a bend about half a mile up when I got my only strike, I knew it was a good fish when he took about 15 yards on me and headed to the middle of the creek for deeper water. On 6lb line and a 1/8oz jig I knew at least I had a fighting chance if he stayed in the center of the creek. For 10 minutes I'd take 5 yards and he would take 6 back, the thought had crossed my mind in the beginning that it was possibly a big cat but his quick-beat head shaking told me bass or stiper. I had not caught a true striber before, but I had caught Wiper (striper/white bass hybrid) before in my home state of Colorado and his fighting reminded my of that kind of battle. Stong runs wit stamina. After about 10 minutes and pulling me the dog and the canoe about 30 yards downstream he headed toward some stickups about 5 yards off the bank and sat there. I took a yard on him and he took a yard back. He wasn't hung up but he was over something. After 5 minutes he cleared and started coming up in a big arc toward the boat, on the first pass he saw the canoe and dove. He made one more long arc and as he came along side gulping for air I lipped him and hoisted him in, it was a striper 26 maybe 28 inches.The sun was really low by now so I paddled back in and stopped at the Shell station at Trimble to weigh him,he was just shy of 9lbs. My first Smith Lake striper, in a canoe and on light gear, a Kodak moment for me for sure.
I'm new to the area and this is my first post here, I would like to say I sure enjoy this website, the people on here seem representitive of just about all the folks I've met in Alabama. Friendly, fair, and they make you feel welcomed to their state. Thanks for letting me share.

SteveB
Crane Hill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]