Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 3-23-2001

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on March 23, 2001 at 21:50:03:

DATE: 3-23-01
LAKE LEVEL: 565.7
FULL POOL LEVEL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 49.8*F in AM - 60.1 in PM
WATER CLARITY: Up river in riverside area is very poor except for Godfrey's Island.Three Mile Creek is clear,Cowan Creek is not in bad shape, all coves from
Cedar Bluff bridge down are in good shape.Main river channel still muddy.

Monday March 19th- 5 inches of rain hit Weiss Lake.An extremely bad cold front came through.I cancelled my trip for that day because of this.

Tuesday March 20th - Rain continued, 25-35 mph winds,cold as a day in January.I cancelled my trip for this day also.

Wednesday March 21st - 15-20 mph winds,clear with a high pressure.Fished Dead Boy out of Riverside only because my guide party insisted on going.Had 14
keepers in Dead Boy.

Thursday March 22nd - Fished out of Bay Springs.Found some fish 13 ft. deep in 18 ft. of water. I had 8 fish that weighed 17.8 lbs.

Friday March 23rd (Today) - The lake is Full Pool +, over most docks on the upper end of the lake.I fished out of Riverside and went into Dead Boy.It was almost
too muddy to fish.Went into Tillery, not bad in the back end, picked up 4 fish.The fish were about 4 ft. deep in 6 ft of water which made no sense.Went into
Waterhouse,water in bad shape there, picked up 1 fish, no short fish.I went to Godfrey"s I island. Water is in good shape, marked a lot of fish but could not get
them to bite.They were about 7 ft. down in 10 ft. of water.Caught 3 short fish.Went back to Dead Boy on the right arm, started in 2 ft of water (surface temp 60.1),
started pulling 2 1/32 bubble gum's,2 triple blue 1/32's,2 triple green 1/32's, and the other rods had a "duke's mixture" on them.Humming it with the trolling
motor.Picked up 8-10 fish in just a little bit and my day was done.
I haven't seen but 1 fish that showed spawning colors.The fish are wanting to spawn.They have got to come up out of the deeper water and go shallow but
maybe not in my lifetime, but they are going to do it.With the high water it spreads the fish out really bad.I can see that the water is starting to drop a little
bit.And I hate not to sell jigs but am going to give you a little advice that might work for you.You probably ought to be fishing a couple rods 2-3 ft deep and
another 3-4 ft deep about 20 feet behind the boat (bubble gum seems to be the prevalent color) you might tip that jig with a minnow and it might even be more
successful.I very seldom recommend this but when they are finicky and picky feeders it can't hurt.I am grasping for straws.I am going to the hardware store this
afternoon for 3 sticks of triple chartreuse dynamite.Fishing WILL improve :-) !!

BASS: I have talked to several bass fishermen on the water today and one of them caught an 11 inch stick and started to put it in the live well.

BREAM: Zero

STRIPE: Still mixed in with the crappie when you can find the crappie.If I was going to go stripe fishing I would go to Powerhouse Lake and watch for the
birds.Generally, they have been around Pine Cone Marina and they have been pretty shallow.You can pull Mrs. Cheryl's jigs through them with 6 lb. test and
have a ball.

CATFISH: I watched a couple of "Q tip's" (now I am one), fishing off their dock with what looked like night crawlers,wearing them out in shallow water.Again the
big catfish are going to be around fish cleaning stations.You can catch them by fishing with rib cages or take the fish eggs and tie them up in a small piece of
panty hose and put it on your hook and they just love it.Sorry, the guys around here have taken all of Cheryl's old panty hose so bring your own.

We deeply apologize that we have been unable to update you with what has been happening here but just like the water my new computer decided to go off the
scale.I will do my best to update you everyday to let you know as conditions change with what our guide service is doing.Again, we are always at Bay Springs
Restaurant at 7AM for breakfast every morning and we will be glad to help in any way we can.( Come meet us and maybe you might have some ideas for us!!
:-) We are all out there flapping.

Be looking for you on the water or at the restaurant.We are all in the same boat!! Sincerely, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]