TROUT ARE SMART!!! SEEK SHELTER!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on March 23, 2001 at 11:54:59:

In Reply to: Re: Trout fishing in Alabama posted by Shane on February 05, 2001 at 11:10:20:

Another handy tip.I often trout fish below the Tims Ford dam in Winchester,TN.I use corn on the bottom,but I have found the most productive way to rig is to use a light bullet weight,run line through point about 1 foot,tie small hook on end and about 9 inches above hook place a bead weight with bullet weight above bead weight.This way I can throw out and work the corn a little along the bottom.Seems like up there they will watch it move,then once it stops for about 2 seconds they will grab it.
Also where the water meets a rock,or stump,fish behind it where the water has somewhat of a swirl or ripple behing the structure.I know all this sound silly,but while the other guys catch their limit of little trout I catch my limit in large ones.I noticed too that a lot of guys go out there hiking,once they find a spot where theu can see the fish they stop there.I found that if I can see the trout,he can see my movments as well and is a little shy.Be discreet when you cast in clear water.
I have seen big trout from a distance with binoculars and kept a low profile,cast from a distance and catch him.
Now after I say this I know you guys will think I am crazy,but if I see a large trout in clear smooth water,I will sometimes walk all the way around from a distance,hide behind a tree,or bush and cast.Not only has this greatly improved my casting skills,but i always catch the fish.Then I listen to the other fishermen complain about why that big fish they see will not bite.

TROUT ARE SMART>SEEK SHELTER!!! LOL PS.by the way,I learned these tips from an elderly fellow who,"did not know there was a limit on trout",and had a 5 gallon bucket FULL of the largest trout I ever saw in this area and had only been fishing for a short time.(He let them go once I,"Informed him that the game warden frequents the area),lol

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]