Re: bluegill

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on March 21, 2001 at 17:25:14:

In Reply to: bluegill posted by tony on March 19, 2001 at 20:41:57:

Tony I will help as much as I can. You were right when you said it would be awhile before the bream started hitting. Last 2 weeks in April and the 1st 2 weeks in May. If you are fishing wheeler try these areas. If you launch from Riverwalk marina(HWY 31 bridge) go down river towards the railroad tracks. Right before you get to the railraod tracks, turn right. If you are not familiar with this area I would advise extreme caution. Stay about 20 to 30 off of the bank and follow this riprap all the way down until you see a railroad bridge. (About a mile) Go under this bridge and it will open up into a large protected lagoon. This is what is known as the "Y". Once you get back up in there it will more or less form a y. Fish back in the right part of the "Y". The water is 2 to 4 ft deep back in there and will shallow up fast as you go back. On the right hand side of this Y you will see several willow trees and usually there will be several large beds of bluegill and shellcracker in this area. Another area you might want to try is fairly close to the marina that you put in at. This time instead of going down river, go up river. Go under both bridges and keep going. Once you go about 1 half of a mile you will see lillypad fields to your left. In the distance you will see some barge tie ups. These barge tie ups are about 3 miles up river from the main bridge. I might be off a bit so just bare with me. Once you get to the barge tie-ups you want to fish the back side of these. Near the bank there will be some more willow trees and you should have no problem limiting. I use squirel tail jigs and crickets. If you have kids the crickets will be a better choice. Hope this helps and good luck. Wear those life jackets. By the way have you read my article located on this site? Go to the home page and then look under "Articles". You might find this very imformitive. Good luck. The Articles title is "Shellcaracker-the Bully of the shallows"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]