Re: Guide requirments, USCG.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on March 12, 2001 at 13:01:45:

In Reply to: Re: Come on and join the fun. posted by Kerry Grissett on March 12, 2001 at 09:42:17:

The requirments, although they look ominous at first glance when you get them in the mail, are not that big of a deal. I would recommend that anyone who boats frequently take the saftey courses offered by the USCG Auxillary. Only the 1st half, (6, 2hr classes) are required I believe for certification. The first aid/cpr is an 8 hr course. The finger printing, drug test, etc is just standard red tape and not that big of a deal. (Unless you're a junkie or a felon). I'm taking all 12 of the Auxillary classes. I am on many different waters over 250 days per year, but I have learned a lot through the classes. They will work with people who have limited time for class. Most of it is basic saftey and navigation. You'll learn a lot about boating law. It will work to anyone's benefit in the event of an accident or if you are sued. People like to sue these days. In many cases, insurance costs go down for boaters who take the courses. The single most important aspect of guiding is to remember that you are responsible for the life of your client. With increasing boat traffic, high powered boats and bigger boats, along with all the commercial traffic on the water, it was just a matter of time for them to begin to enforce the regulations. There are no State requirments that I am aware of other than the standard business licenses. The Federal requirments I assume would satisfy any State interest in our case. After finding out about the law, many of us discovered that the requirments have been taylored to pertend more to our specific type of commercial business. Myself and no one I know so far who is taking the courses has any complaints about the certification. I think it would be good for most boaters to take time to learn about saftey and proceedure on the water, even if they never plan to guide.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]