Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 3-9-2001

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on March 09, 2001 at 20:50:15:

DATE: 3-9-01
LAKE LEVEL: 561.4
NORMAL LEVEL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: AM 51.2 PM 54.1
WATER CLARITY: Clearing. River channel still somewhat muddy, but looking better

CRAPPIE: Crappie fishing for the 5th,6th 7th, & 8th was terrible! 12-15 fish a day. The 4th of March a massive cold front
came through and dropped the surface temperature 14*F. Also had a 2" rain and 25-35 mile per hour winds. All this
stained up and muddied up all of the good fishing areas. Today is the 9th.The water is looking much better. Wind is down
to 10-15 out of the North. We still had a very good day. Myself and 1 of my partners both limited right at quitting time. My
third partner had some late arrivals and didn't get onto the water until late. Am sure he did well but he is still on the water
as we speak. Fishing 1 1/16 oz.Jigs.Blue-Green-Blue and Green-Green-Green seem to work the best today. Today all the
fish we caught were suspended 5-6 ft. deep in 12-14 feet of water which required a medium speed troll. I saw an Indiana
boat fishing very deep on a slow troll and I never saw them catch a keeper all day. I also saw 2 boys from Tennessee
throwing floats and jigs and I believe they did pretty well from what I saw. They were fishing about 5 foot deep. I also had
3-4 other boats in the area I was fishing and they did very poorly fishing with jigs. All of them pulled out at approx.11:00
while we were still catching them right and left.
This may help you and this may not help you. I have fished the gentleman in my boat for several years but he takes a
dumb pill first thing in the morning. I set the rods for them first thing in the morning at the distance I wanted them to be
behind the boat. Around 12:00 we just stopped catching fish. Because I am dumb as a board we lost an hour and a half
fishing time. This drove me crazy to see the fish on the depth finder and cannot get them to bite because I know what
depth miss Cheryl's jigs are running at the speed I am running. Finally , I had enough sense to go back and check the
lines and they were fishing way too short. I reset the lines and immediately started catching fish. Their dumb pill wore off
and we stayed with it the rest of the afternoon. The point I am trying to make is placement of the jigs behind the boat,at
the proper distance,consistency, is everything. If you know where the jigs are, even if you do not have a speed indicator,
you can still catch them. Because if they are not biting and you are seeing them on your depth finder,you are either
fishing too fast or too slow. Crappie fishing is not rocket science. Be patient,experiment and stay with it. Also many times
crappie may do one of two things, they may go up because of warmth, or if a frontal system moves through they may go
down during the day. I think I have given you all the information that I can at this point to help without putting you in the
boat with me. See you at Bay Springs for breakfast. I am there every morning at 7am.

BASS: Bass fishing has gotten much slower because of the front and cooler surface temps. If I was going bass fishing in
the morning, I would be working a spinner bait right up against any rip rap that I could find. I believe that later on in the
afternoon a small floating rat'l trap,(chrome & blue or chrome & black) in the back end of coves, in shallow water would
be productive.

WHITE BASS: Catching a lot of white bass trolling right in with the crappie. It is WAY too early to see them in the jumps.

CATFISH:According to the commercial fishermen there are plenty of them. They are fishing in 4-8 ft. of water for them.
Also productive around any fish cleaning station.

STRIPE: Hot as three dollar pistol. Stripe are in 3-4 foot of water chasing shad. Watch for the birds. When the birds are
diving on them there they are. A couple of productive areas are Powerhouse Lake and Yellow Creek. Also, the mouth of
Crazy Woman and Churchouse. Unfortunately still catching some while trolling for crappie. Makes a mess of your lines.
Today,my partner butch, had 9 rods out and had 9 stripe on at one time. They managed to land 3 and pulled out of them.
After the "Chinese fire drill" was over they re-rigged their lines and went back to crappie fishing.

BREAM: Still nothing, too cold.

As usual if we can be of any help do not hesitate to "holler". Be glad to help with lodging or anything else that we can.
Also, please read the whole web site as it will answer most of your questions for you. Be sure to look at our new pictures
just updated. I always suggest that anyone fishing Weiss purchase a lake map & a belly board for measuring fish. We
have a 10" size limit on crappie. Also there is ZERO tolerance on the water for alcohol. We are a dry county so if you
prefer a beverage after you get off the water you should do it at the motel and bring it with you from home. Sincerely,
Steve If you do not get a response within 24 hours to your email please use the email address clp-pope@tds.net. We have
been have a little trouble responding to other email address so use this one if you can.Thanks, Steve

www.lakeweissguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]