Pickwick this past weekend from the bank...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 05, 2001 at 21:13:23:

I was in Florence this past weekend from friday afternoon until sunday, but I didn't take my boat due to the lousy forecast. Too bad... maybe... the weather on saturday morning until well after noon was not bad at all. It didn't start raining until about 2pm! For the last month or so, the local and national weather forecasts have been MUCH less than accurate, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, I tried the barge harbor near McFarland friday afternoon and noted the water level. I didn't connect to the TVA lakeinfo site, but by saturday morning, Pickwick had dropped somewhere between 2 and 3 feet! I did manage to catch a couple of fair bream and small stripe/white bass on the pier at Cypress creek on saturday morning, but I suspect the huge and fast drop in the lake level had a lot to do with the slow hit. I used to think Wheeler was the worst lake for this type of fast and huge level drop, but I am not so sure now. I also tried Colbert steam plant discharge saturday morning, but nothing was going on when I was there. Not even the skipjack were very active.

Sunday I tried above and below Wilson dam and even drove over to the tailraces of Wheeler. Nothing. Tried the northeast side of Wheeler dam also. Oh well, I guess all I did was burn up gas. Of course, "you don't know until you go". (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'!

BTW, I didn't take any temperature measurements. Sorry, I'll try to do better next time...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]