Weiss Lake Fishing Report for March 4, 2001

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 04, 2001 at 17:57:55:

Steve and Cheryl have another update!

DATE: 3-4-01
LAKE LEVEL: 560.3
NORMAL LEVEL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 57.4*F
WATER CLARITY: Good in the coves and creeks.River channel is dingy.

CRAPPIE: Fished 3 men today and had 90 keepers at 3:30 pm. Average fish weighed a pound. Had several that weighed 2-
2 1/4. Had 2 fish over 3. The crappie today, when I set down on the water with the boat, were 5-6 ft. deep in 12 - 15 ft. of
water. They were non structure orentiented. Had 45 fish at 11:30 But, as I have said before, when the fish quit biting,
99.9% of the time they have moved up shallow in the same depth of water.And, because I am as dumb as a board, I went
for about an hour+ before I figured out that they went shallow. They went from 5-6ft to 10 - 12 inches under the water. You
will not see these fish on the depth finder as they are too shallow to mark. Went from 1/16 oz. jigs to 1/32 oz. jigs.Hot
color has now turned to bubble gum. There is a cold front coming in that will change everything in the next few days. I
will try to keep you posted as to what the front does to the fish. Hope to see you at Bay Springs Restaurant around 7 am
every morning. I will have on a Weiss Lake Guide Service hat and every body knows me,just ask. Come talk to me and I
will try to help you!

BASS: Bass fishing is super right now. Best place seems to be the back end of coves in shallow water or around rip rap.
This may also change with the front.Best baits are still spinner baits.Gold & Chartreuse.

WHITE BASS: White bass & yellow bass are also strong in the back of the coves in shallow water using Mrs. Cheryl's 1/16
oz. jigs trolling.

CATFISH: I do not catfish. But the commercial men are catching a ton. You can fish off my dock and catch some from 30 -
50 lbs. a piece when someone is cleaning fish. Also, you can catch them around any fish cleaning station. Use rib cages
from your fish.

STRIPE: Follow the birds. The birds start diving on the water. Fish Mrs. Cheryl's 1/16 oz jigs on a fast troll.(Mrs. Cheryl's
jigs are the ones on our site) Catching stripe in the 3 - 15 lbs..Catching one of these on 6 lb. test and a ultra light rig is a
hoot!!

BREAM: Still Zero.Water to cold.

As always I will be glad to help anyone in any way I can. This fishing report is based on what our guides are doing. If you
need help do not be bashful, call me and I will try to help. Also, read the whole web site as it has some very useful
information in each section. I also strongly recommend that you purchase a lake map when you get here and a "belly
board". We have a 10" size limit on our crappie. I will try to keep you posted as to what happens with this front. Good
fishing to all!!! Sincerely, Steve

If you do not get a response to your email use the email address : clp-pope@tds.net
www.lakeweissguideservice.com 256-927-6617

http://www.lakeweissguideservice.com/fishreport.htm

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]