Re: i need some advice on how to catch smallies and stripers in the wheeler tailrace

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike M on March 01, 2001 at 20:33:51:

In Reply to: i need some advice on how to catch smallies and stripers in the wheeler tailrace posted by adam winchester on March 01, 2001 at 00:08:07:

Guys, I certainly don't know as much as Troy, but I did want to post a few observations.

In connection with drifting live bait, the amount of lead to use depends on the amount of current. I do not recall ever using anything smaller than a #4, and more often than not, I use 2 #4's or a #4 and a #7. You have to get that live bait down past the trash fish.

Watch the other boats and see how they are doing--watch for hook-ups--that will tell you whether the smallies are up high or low. Sometimes fishing the edges of the current is best, sometimes not. And where the fish are (high v low) can change during the day.

While drifting, constantly lift your rod up and down, which will help to reduce snagging on the rocks. When you feel something that you think is a fish, lift your rod up slightly and if it is a fish, pull your rod up high, like 12 o'clock and hold it there for a few seconds to set the hook. if it isn't a fish, you may have pulled the bait off a rock and saved yourself a snag.

I agree with the others--be very careful--that can be a dangerous place--and watch the rednecks trying to run over you--really!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]