Re: i need some advice on how to catch smallies and stripers in the wheeler tailrace

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lance on March 01, 2001 at 11:39:55:

In Reply to: i need some advice on how to catch smallies and stripers in the wheeler tailrace posted by adam winchester on March 01, 2001 at 00:08:07:

Adam, I haven't really figured out the smallmouth...but Feb.20 I caught 13 stripe that weighed 92lbs. The largest weighed 12lbs. I went with intentions on catching the smallies, but the only fish that bit were those big stripers. I had lots of fun though. According to the guys I have talked to that have more tailrace experience than myself, said you catch the smallmouth(and all the other species of fish in the lake the same way). Use spinning tackle with 8lb. test line,a #5 split shot 12-18inches above a 1/0-2/0 hook, use bass minnows/shiners/shad for bait, and bump bottom. Just pull up between the towers and drift back 1-2 hundred yards. They say March and April is the best time to catch the big smallies at the tailrace. I have yet to have any luck with the smallies, but I am not giving up. If TVA does not have any turbins on, forget it. If two or more turbins are on, you should have no trouble catching the big stripe and you might get lucky and catch some of the big smallmouth. Be careful! Wear a lifejacket! The water is very swift and dangerous! Watch for ripples of underwater rockpiles! As long as you stay between the towers, you should be fine. Good Fish'n and let me know if you catch any good smallies.
LANCE

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]