NAFF Search engine and NAFF Message Archives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 22, 2006 at 22:54:57:

I have been asked more than once to do something about the quality, or lack of it, in the NAFF Message Search engine.

Well, sorry to say that all my efforts to implement an "onboard/on site" search engine have failed or been too cumbersome to use on this limited site.

It was suggested that I use the "Google Search Appliance" and I did try to get that set up as well. At least when it was a free utility, I tried and it would not index this site as the NAFF is not a "domain", but rather a subdirectory of HiWaay.net and HiWaay won't help me unless I pay them a LOT of $$$ for a commercial account.

So, I decided to make "index" files of all the archived messages and place links to them on the NAFF Search Engine page. Each archive contains approximately 3000 messages. Hopefully, Google will eventually index ALL of the archived messages now that there is a link to them all. I don't know how long this will take as there are so many messages and Google's crawl robot may time-out on HiWaay's server(s) before it is ever able to index all of them.

In any case, this is the best I can do for now. Hopefully Google will come through and all archived material will be searchable via Google. The format to do this is on the NAFF Message Search Engine Page.

Good luck and good fishin' and Happy Holidays!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]