Wheeler fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 18, 2001 at 19:44:52:

I haven't been out in the boat in a while, but I have been trying various spots from the bank. With the water level up so high the hit has slowed down a bit on crappie and bass, but some are still being taken. I expect the hit to pick up this week as temps warm back up. I measured surface water temps from the bank in several places and they averaged between 48 and 51 degrees in the shade.

Although I haven't caught a limit on crappie in a while, I have caught and seen caught several 1.5 to 2 pound crappie and several small largemouth bass in the 1-2 pound range, maybe larger. Even a few 5-10 pound buffalo. I landed one about 8 pounds on 4 pound test line. Does anyone know much about buffalo? I have heard they aren't too bad to eat, but I have never tried one. (grin)

Shad had disappeared in most placed I fished from the bank, but today I did notice a little more activity from them. This is already the best crappie season in quite a while on Wheeler and I expect it to continue as soon as the fish (and fishermen) get used to this high water level. I may eat these words, but my hat is off to TVA for their recent handling of the water level on Wheeler. Usually they drop the bottom out of the lake in a short period of time just before a big rain. Lately, I hit TVA's lakeinfo page at least a couple of times a day, they have done a much better job of holding Wheeler at relatively consistent levels. I HOPE THIS TREND CONTINUES!!! Best thing for fishing on Wheeler that I can think of.

Good fishing and please be courteous to your fellow fishermen and women!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]