Re: sauger coming unbuttoned

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on December 07, 2006 at 18:53:45:

In Reply to: sauger coming unbuttoned posted by mighty on December 07, 2006 at 14:57:08:

A larger hook would help but its the way some of them bite ,they simply suck in the bait and hold on ,when you set the hook a lot of the times it just doesnt go in to their hard inside mouth.Fortunately they fight with their mouth kept closed until you get ready to lift them out of the water then it opens and away he goes if hesnot lip hooked in a lot of cases.I have lost many like that and I have also had many fall into my bucket too(catch and release grin ).I try to see their mouth when i get them near the bank and see how hes hooked.Some people use a stinger hook which will prevent that but they are hard to use bank fishing.We pour our jigs using a number 2 jig hook and that seems to work well as far as the hook set,still it happens on occasion,they are just holding on and away they go!! It would probably be smart if we used one of those long handle fish nets to lift themout of the water LOL but I never see anyone doing that from the bank ,its either drag him ashore or lift him up and hope hes hooked well!! Hope this makes you feel better !!! and Tight lines to ya!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]