Sharp tooth critters!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on December 01, 2006 at 19:47:47:

After I got off work today, I went down to the river (old NASA docks) and tried for crappie. The river was white capping and there is no way I would have tried to go out in a boat today! DANGEROUS!!!!!

I caught one short crappie at the first location I tried and did not get another bite. I went out to the main river channel and tried a 1/8 oz jig head. As the waves were breaking over the rocks and wetting my feet, my eyes caught some line movement after my cast and I set the hook. I said to myself, Kerry was right they are here. Not so fast, to my surprise, this crappie had teeth and they were very sharp. I have caught sauger at this location before so I was not too surprised except for the fact that these sauger were hitting shallow (maybe 5 feet deep in 18 feet of water). I tried another cast and bingo had another one. By the time my feet were completely wet and numb, I had caught 10 legal sauger on crappie jigs. I am glad I had a bucket in the back of my truck. When I got home I measured the smallest one and it was 14.5 inches. The largest was right at 20 inches. Not bad for 25 minutes worth of fishing!

So Kerry, you were right about me trying today! The only problem was they were not crappie. I have no idea why these sauger were so shallow. I could not see bait fish due to it being dark but they had shad in their stomachs. It has been awhile since I cleaned some good sauger. Good luck to everyone and wear your life jackets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]