Re: Hostile Condemnation....sort of

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on November 13, 2006 at 10:18:46:

In Reply to: Re: Hostile Condemnation....sort of posted by Allen on November 13, 2006 at 08:42:17:

The Talledega analogy doesn't hold water when you consider the track was built to make money while the lakes were built to share among the public for RECREATION. In general, this world (or at least north Alabama) has become much more competitive and crowded since I was a kid. Things are only going to get worse for my children in every aspect of life from careers to recreation.

Sharing and consideration are going to become a greater requirement, however as we get more competitive, there will alway be those that feel they are taking what is theirs. There are always the type of people that feel they don't have to stand in line or wait their turn. I feel that many anglers, professional or not, have been guilty of getting too close to others. I have had people literally drive over my line and wave as they go by as if I am happy to see them. I, on the other hand, have probably washed some people out if they were sitting in a blind spot fishing in a navigational channel (i.e. Mud Creek). Sometimes slowing down or coming off plane only makes the wakes bigger. I don't really think it is about the wake, though, but more of a gesture of courtesy that some people expect.

I fished with a professional guide a few years back and could not believe how close we got to other fisherman. I had never been that close to anyone in a boat on open water like Guntersville Lake. I fished one tournament a year for charity for several years, and invariably, Saturday morning brings out a whole different group of fisherman. I believe that competition, whether for money or pride, brings out a different character in each of us.

I am going to point the blame at myself. I am spoiled. Things have been very good in my lifetime. I regret that things must change, but they have. Fisheries have changed. Boats/equipment have changed. Stakes have changed. Now I have a choice: tolerate or quit. Fortunately, I learned about a great sport when there were not so many negative consquences so my choice is easy. Will it be so easy for my kids? Hopefully this dog will get out of the rain on the right days, and stay in the rain when it is cleansing and refreshing. Thank God for sports, hunting, and other things that keep people preoccupied at least part of the year. :)

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]