Re: Guntersville Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 31, 2006 at 19:44:57:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville Crappie posted by Jerry on October 30, 2006 at 05:22:41:

Jerry, I remember watching the Bill Dance fishing show 30 years ago and took Billís advice on logging your fishing trips. At first it was just where I fished and how many I caught but as I got older I started reading and gaining knowledge pertaining weather patterns and water temps. Not long after that, I added water levels, wind direction, barometric pressures and catch rates. For many years I collected this data and on rainy days I would go back and read old logs from many years ago. I could not believe on how much I would forget.

Once I got out of college, the home computer was just getting started and the PC was born. I started learning different software and excel became a good tool for my fishing logs. As I played around with the software I wrote a program that would take all data and show averages in water temperatures, weather patterns, shad locations pertaining to water depths and current flows. By graphing out this data, I started noticing patterns taking place. Keep in mind that my system is not always accurate, but it is pretty close.

Jerry, it is never too late to record fishing trips. I learn something new every time out and I record each trip even if it was bust. As far as writing a book, I do not think that will ever happen. I will say this though, when I go to my grave one day, if someone will just take this data and use it, their catch rates will improve. They will also say, this guy was a sick individual! Good luck and wear those life jackets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]