Guntersville Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 25, 2006 at 19:39:38:

This report is for two days of fishing, 24 and the 25 of October.

October 24, Kerry and I got to the ramp around 7:00 and finally got in the water around 7:20. While I was getting the boat in position at our first stop, Kerry had already connected with a good solid keeper before I even new what happened! By the time I got the boat stable and positioned, he had put three keepers in the boat. Fish were holding in 18 to 25 feet of water and the bite was very aggressive. All fish were caught on bassassassins in Arkansas shiner on a 1/16 oz unpainted jig head tight lining. We tried another area and I connected with a fish that weighed 1 pound 15 ounces. Kerry’s scales did show 2 pounds but I will be honest and say the exact weight. We did find another group of fish and ended the day with 50 good solid keepers. Had several around the pound range and the big one I caught. I do believe we could have limited but Kerry and I were selective in what we kept. Current was good but the wind was a pain in the neck due to it being variable.

October 25, Kerry and I decided to go a little earlier and try the early bite. We pulled up to the spot and Kerry connected with one of those fish that needs a net under it. I can’t remember but it was over a pound and a half. The next cast, I connected with another net fish. Interesting thing about this trip was the crappie were not as aggressive as the day before. As your jig would hit the right depth, there was not any line jump just a heavy feel. The fish we caught today were definitely better in quality. We did not have any 2 pound fish but everything was right at a pound or better. I think I counted 16 that were over a pound. Again all fish today were caught on bassassassins in Arkansas shiner. We ended the day with 40 fish.

Kerry and I feel that this year is going to be a good year. We did very well considering we have not been this year. I forgot to mention that the shad are not showing up yet like they need to. All the fish that I cleaned had small bluegill in their stomachs. Something to remember when choosing lure color! Kerry and I are planning on going again soon and we will report on how we did. Good luck to everyone and please wear those life jackets.
Sorry for being so long winded!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]