Re: Crappie Fishing Lake Guntersville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on October 14, 2006 at 23:16:13:

In Reply to: Crappie Fishing Lake Guntersville posted by Leroy on October 11, 2006 at 17:46:56:

I have fished the lake since I was 5,that would be 1960 and my dad longer than that!! In the 60s I can honestly say that any month of the year we could catch Crappie and in good enough numbers even in the summer months to make it worth sweating out They would be on the edge of the drop offs about 15 to 18 ft down.ONE big difference then vs now....ALL the Crappie were White Crappie not the black ones that have taken over the lake now!! The biggest difference is that the white crappie loved the wooded structure and shallow stumpy areas to spawn .These areas silted out because of the over growth of the milfoil that i watched go from 0 to 60 in the late 60's and since the Bass people went ape over how it made the bass fishery take off, the white crappie were doomed as they never really adapted to spawning in the milfoil,that grew over the april stumpy spawning areas,also the heavy limit of 50 crappie a day plus the fish finders helped to keep the pressure on them year round..On the other hand the few rare black crappie in the lake thrived with the depletion of the white crappie,they loved the grass and the rip rap and the concrete ,so we are fortunate they were there to replace the old white crappie, otherwise the lake would truly be a bream and bass lake.Also I know of a few people that brought back a lot or weiss lake black crappie and put them in the lake during the 70's decline of the white C.This is just a small part of my guess or theory as to why there has been a complete change in the type of crappie in the big G.You can still catch a few whites starting now in any old tree top but they prefer a minnow more so than a jig,but expect to catch no more than 3 or 4on a good day.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]