Re: P.S. Re: Crappie Fishing Lake Guntersville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Thornton on October 12, 2006 at 13:00:29:

In Reply to: Re: P.S. Re: Crappie Fishing Lake Guntersville posted by Mighty on October 12, 2006 at 11:45:58:

I have read with great intrest all the post about crappie fishing. I agree with Kerry about the water flow and it changing the habitat.
I have managed to catch a few limits in the past but no longer try for a limit just a good mess for the table. I have been catching a good number of smaller fish this time of year but in the winter and early spring have managed good numbers of fish in the 11" and higher range, some over 2lb.
I only seriously started fishing for crappie about 5 years ago, so I have an awful lot to learn: and thanks to Kerry and those of you that post here, I have learned a lot already. One of the things that has helped me the most is, I am not fishing the traditional areas for crappie; ie, brush tops, boat houses with structure, the bluffs etc. I'm fishing water most crappie fishermen pass, but Bass fishermen love... Shallow grass line 2-5 ft. The money (bass) fishermen get flustered with me in their way, but crappie stage in the same places as do bass.
As for numbers, I have been very lucky, but I do not try for a limit just a good time. I know an increase in the size limit would be unpopular, but it is not for me, nor is the number. Take what you need for a good fish fry and enjoy.
Greed, undersize, killing the spawing areas, gill nets and a thousand other things add to lower numbers, but I am still finding some fish just about every place I try.
Use your head and enjoy the bounty God has provided, despite what man does to damage it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]