Re: Wheeler Dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on October 11, 2006 at 15:37:10:

In Reply to: Re: Wheeler Dam posted by Driftfishing on October 11, 2006 at 13:03:31:

About this time back in '99 I went down there to see if I could maybe catch a fish or two before cold weather wrapped up my season. I learned the new method of bouncing a jig off the bottome in the current using heavy weight.

The current does pull the line downstream but with enough weight the bait gets to the bottom where the fish are. Hangups happen, somedays I don't lose a single thing, others I lose quite a bit.

This method doesn't work well if the outer turbines are running and the current is circling back along the rocks. But when they're running at least the first two or three from the bank the fishing can be outstanding at times.

What I do is cast into the boils and feel for the lead bumping along the bottom. You'll know when the fish hit sometimes they nearly pull the rod from your hands. If you don't feel the weight bumping it's not heavy enough. For me 2 ounces is enough for heavier current, 1.5 ounces if it's running a little lighter.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]