Report from Coast

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on October 06, 2006 at 14:02:59:

Hello from Destin, I have been here a week and the fishing has been super.On the Jetties at East Pass in Destin the Black Snapper(really Mangrove Snappers (Grin)are thick like flies,thats the good news ,the bad news is that for every 10 you catch one is of legal size,as they have to be at least 10 inches and 5 total is the limit.For some reason they all seem to be 9 and a half HA!!They will eat any thing from live Bull minnows to pieces of shrimp.Still, its a lotta fun getting them hooked and keeping them out of the jetty rocks Its amazing the power the salt fish have in them reguardless of size.!!ALso, on top water the Blue fish are hitting any kind of jig or bait floated on or near the top, just make sure you have a wire leader. Pier fishing is hot and cold one minute the Spanish Mackerel will be running then they are gone.The King bite is slow but happens enough to keep it interesting.As to the deep sea fishing ,its never been better!!I managed a limit of Red Snapper(they have to be a min of 16 inches long) each time I have gone out and Monday landed a 23lb Black fin Tuna!!along with 4 Grouper.The Destin Rodeo goes on all month so the captains are trying real hard to put you on the big ones so now would be the time to try and make it down to the big pond before the end of October and if you cant go out then its almost as fun to watch the daily weigh ins at the rodeo scales.Also the weather has been SUMMER conditions reaching the 90 mark every day so far and the water temp is still 82 with NO crowds or traffic problems you see in the June to August tourist time .Well gotta go I hear another Snapper saying its feeding time (Grin)All you guys save me a few Crappie for when I get back home!! Screaming drags to all of you!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]