Re: Alligators in the Tennesse River

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 03, 2006 at 23:09:18:

In Reply to: Re: Alligators in the Tennesse River posted by Smallie on October 03, 2006 at 22:51:55:

For the record, yes, alligators do reproduce in this area (Mooresville to Redstone). I have personally seen gators ranging in size from 3 feet to 16 feet, yes 16 feet in this area.

Unlike some other areas of the country which have a large population of gators, we have relatively few. Because of that, they have little competition for food and there is a lot of food for them. So, they get rather large in this area.

If you are lucky enough to see one, feel lucky, take pictures and leave them alone along with the snakes and other reptiles you see out there. They do serve a purpose in this ecosystem and have been here longer than anyone posting on this board.

Smallie, I am not saying that you have spread these "tales", but I have heard enough of them, even on the NAFF to make me gag! Ignorance is a dangerous thing. I simply wish people would take the time to research these things that they fear (to a phobia) and find out that there isn't anything to fear if you are informed and aware. That definitely includes snakes as well.

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]