Re: crappie on smith lake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben There on February 12, 2001 at 16:31:48:

In Reply to: crappie on smith lake posted by John on February 11, 2001 at 22:39:05:

John, I have a place on Smith Lake. I have fished for crappie at times but not very much. I used to fish for them all the time on the Coosa River, either on Lay Lake or Mitchell Lake and got pretty good at it. I then switched all together to bass fishing. The one thing I have learned about crappie on Smith Lake is that they are always deep. I have never caught one in less than about 12 feet of water on my end of the lake which is about 4 miles up from the mouth of Ryan Creek. I usually always am casting 1/16 oz. jigs, white with a RED eye around downed trees. For some reason, the white and red combination is the only color that will work for me. The water is usually very clear in our area of the lake and I feel sure that is why the crappie are always so deep there. If you use jigs, pull out away from downed trees, cast the jig right down the middle of the tree. A 1/16 oz. jig will fall very slow through the tree, and yes you will hang up a lot but that is the only way I have had much luck. I really can't say much about minnow fishing on Smith but there again, if you are fishing very clear water, fish deep. I have seen a lot of people fishing shallow with minnows but not catching a lot and certainly not much size when they do catch a fish. Be sure to use a very sensitive rod and light weight line, probably no more than 8 lb. at the most. The hit on jigs is so light that you must only notice a light tap through the rod handle. If you think you felt a light tap, go ahead and try to set the hook. It will take some time to become sensitive to the light tap of a crappie. Best of luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]