Re: Below Wheeler/Wilson Dams during water release

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on August 22, 2006 at 08:51:11:

In Reply to: Below Wheeler/Wilson Dams during water release posted by Joe on August 21, 2006 at 12:08:23:

I had a detailed reply yesterday, but work got in the way and I closed the window. In summary... BELOW Wilson dam is dangerous. If others are fishing, follow them. If not, idle. It seems that most people stay to the right as facing upstream (south). The water is very shallow and there are lots of rocks.

As for BELOW Wheeler, the problems will be visible and obvious. Always use extra length in your anchor rope, if you anchor. This allows you some slack if the water rises rather than pulling the boat under. The water gets very deep (50+ ft) up against the dam near the turbines.

As for flood gates, I doubt you will see any of those in action this time of year. At both of these dams, the area below the flood gates is shallow and rocky and should be very obvious. You will probably fish below the turbine discharge and some people do pull up inside those, although I would not advise it.

ABOVE the dam, well, it sucks - literally. If you turn off the boat you will soon find the vortex where water is being pulled in. Obviously the water will be much deeper and little current as compared to below the dam.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]